It seems a particularly auspicious sign that 2010 brings the concurrence of Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day on February 14. Whether you are happily coupled or still blissfully single there is always good reason to celebrate the holiday of the heart – and take advantage of a great Maui food deal.
Here are WCM’s hand-picked options for doing it up in style.
Lahaina Grill Special V-day Menu
- What’s Special: Sunday, February 14th the renowned restaurant is accepting reservations starting at 5:30pm. Jurg and crew will offer their entire a la carte menu in addition to two exciting Valentine’s Day creations
- asiago crusted opakapaka & grilled tiger prawn, served with cherry tomato & edamame ragout, herbed truffle risotto, lobster champagne sauce
- a premium cut 18 oz bone-in certified Angus beef rib chop with blue cheese mashed potatoes, mirin flavored baby carrot puree & port wine demi glaze.
Reservations are highly recommended, please call 808.667.5117.
`Ono Bar and Grill/Tropica Restaurant & Bar
- What’s Special: Indulge in special menu items to celebrate your love or general good fortune at ‘OnO Bar & Grill or Tropica Restaurant & Bar at the Westin, Kaanapali. Make the day memorable starting with a
To view the menu, please click here. For reservations, please call 808-667-2525.
- Westin Spa Special: To get in the mood for the fabulous dinner, or if you would like to pamper one another without all the calories, take the time to renew your bond at Heavenly Spa by Westin and experience any number of Chocolate rich treatments at a special price.
- 50 minute Chocolate Massage for $115, or
- Chocolate Mousse Facial, 50 minutes for $115, or 50 minutes/$115.00
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Toes treatment, 50 minutes of bliss for only $65 (that’s only $1.25 per minute!). This Decedent treat for your feet will feel fantastic, with a chocolate foot soak, followed by a sweet strawberry scrub.
To make advance appointments (recommended) or to purchase a gift certificate, call (808) 661-2588 or click here to send the Spa an email.
Capische! Hotel Wailea, Maui
- What’s Special: At Capische, in the Hotel Wailea, Maui, chose between two special Valentine’s Day menu offerings
- A multi-course Chef’s Menu featuring Amuse Bouche, Kushi Oysters and Prosecco Sparkling Wine Toast followed by a first course of Butternut Squash Tortellini, Kula Corn Coulis, Lavender, Pumpkin Seed Oil. Afterward expect an Ahi Crudo Nicoise Salad, with Truffle, Quail Egg, Micro Arugula , Kula Greens, Raspberry Gastrique, and Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese. Fourth Course is a choice of Snake River Farms Kobe Beef Tenderloin, Aged Balsamic, Potato Gnocchi, Hana Farms Grown Cherry Tomatoes or Pesto Crusted Onaga with Artichoke, Preserved Lemons, Sun Chokes. Finish with either Strawberries and Chocolate, a Strawberry Milkshake, a Chocolate Brule Spoon, or Warm Chocolate Cake with Berry Compote.
- A Special Vegetarian Menu is also being offered
- Kama`aina rates from $149 for an overnight stay at the hotel!
Surfing Goat Dairy Presents A Walk Around The Black Forest
- What’s Special: To reveal the best flavors from his Heimatstadt Owner Thomas has put together a unique Valentine’s Day dinner celebration featuring food from the Baden/Alsace region of Germany which will be offered February 13 and 14th at 6:30 p.m. at the dairy.
- Appetizers from the Baden/Alsace region with original Black Forest Ham, salami, duck pate, cheese, smoked trout, quail eggs, crackling goose fat on dark rye bread; leek and escargot soup from Baden; tarte flambee from Alsace with quark, onions and bacon; sausage salad from Baden with Lyonaise sausage, emmethal cheese and onions; choucroute from Alsace with sauerkraut, potatoes, sausages, smoked pork, and salt pork; real Black Forest cake with sour cherries and Kirshwasser; pretzels with cheese from the Alsace region and pralines filled with fruit brandy from the Black Forest.
- Cost is $79 per person.
Please call 808.878.2870 or email Surfing Goat at firstname.lastname@example.org to make your reservations…spaces are sure to fill up fast!
8th Annual Sea of Love Valentine’s Dinner at Maui Ocean Center
- What’s Special: What could be more romantic than a candlelit dinner surrounded by the spectacular marine life of Hawaii at a world-class aquarium? Couples will enjoy an exquisite meal in semi-private seating against the romantic backdrops of the aquarium’s most spectacular exhibits. The elaborate four-course meal is expertly prepared by James Beard Nominee Chef Henry Tariga and catered by the award-winning Seascape Ma`alaea Restaurant.
- The meal starts with the shared Lover’s Platter is a tempting combination of three appetizers including Hamachi Sashimi drizzled with Lemon Chili Oil, Sugar Cane skewered Shrimp, and Crab filled Spring Rolls dipped with Sweet Basil Aioli. The Cupid’s Salad is a medley of Baby Spinach, toasted Pine Nuts, Grape Tomatoes and fresh Feta Cheese topped with Crispy Prosciutto Ham and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Guests may choose between five savory main course entrées; Ginger steamed Opakapaka with Champagne Cream Sauce, Broiled Prawns and Filet Mignon with Veal Demi Glaze, Truffle Butter Cream Macadamia Nut crusted baked Chicken Breast, Beef Wellington with wild Mushroom Stew and Green Peppercorns, or Baked Vegetables stuffed Portabella Mushroom with Tomato Ragout. Entrées will be served with Chef’s choice of accompaniments.
- The evening includes a complimentary welcome glass of sparkling wine beverage for each guest, with Champagne upgrades bar service available for an additional fee.
- Last, but not least, the Chocolate Decadence, a Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache garnished with chocolate dipped Strawberries, will set the mood for what’s to follow.
You’ll be on your own for that but maybe a moonlight swim? Dessert is served with a choice of coffee or tea. Phone 808-270-7000 for reservations. $99 per person plus gratuity and tax. Seating times are between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Valentine’s Dinner at Kahului Ale House (alehouse.net)
- What’s Special: Roses and sparkling wine will be provided along with the dinner special. Check out the website for many other great reasons to stop in, including Superbowl party, recession battling food specials and more.
Call 877-9001 for more information and to make reservations. Find them at 355 E. Kamehameha Ave, Kahului, HI.
Valentine’s Day Dinner At The Pioneer Inn
- What’s Special: This might be the best ocean side meal deal on the island!
- Surf and Turf – $35.00 Lobster Tail
- $27.00 Daily Catch – $26.00
- All dishes include vegetables and mashed potatoes.
- Add Maui Onion Soup for only $5.95
- A complimentary chocolate truffle and red rose for the ladies.
Phone 661-8881 for more info and to make a reservation. Find them at 658 Wharf Street, Lahaina. Stop in and check out the Maui Plein Air Quick Draw event while you are there.
Mala Wailea Dinner and Pick Your Passion at Marriot
- What’s Special: Mala has cooked up a great Valentine’s Day Dinner for only $59
- FIRST COURSE: Chicken Quesadilla with Surfing Goat Cheese & Ali’I Mushrooms
- SECOND COURSE: Choice of Potato Jalapeno Soup or Farmer’s Salad,
- THIRD COURSE Choice of Crab Crusted Mahi Grilled Veal Chop, Braised Short Ribs, Vegan Lasagna and finally,
- FOURTH COURSE essert Special. Regular Dinner Menu also available.
Phone: 808-879-1922 to make reservations.
- Spa Special: Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa let’s you “Pick Your Passion” from one of two romantic experiences that will surely set hearts afire.
- Starting at $500 a night, this couple’s package offers a choice between an oceanfront or chocolate-themed experience.
- Oceanfront Passion includes a day at the renowned Mandara Spa with the Hawaiian Ku’uipo (sweetheart) Lomi Lomi massage in a magnificent, private oceanfront cabana.
- The Chocolate Passion includes Mandara Spa’s “Exploration in Chocolate,” a decadent couples’ experience in a deluxe, private ocean view retreat, complete with heated massage beds and private Jacuzzi tub for two with private showers.
- Take in a healthy breakfast in the privacy of your guestroom followed later by a glass of champagne and spa lunch delivered to you in the salon following the spa treatments; a Hawaiian Hot Stone Manicure and Pedicure, invigorating shower, shampoo and blow dry.
- A sunset three-course dinner by Hawaii Regional Cuisine Chef Mark Ellman at Mala Wailea wraps up the package.
Think you could stand it? Visit the Website
Hula Grill Valentine’s Day Dinner
- What’s Special: The Oceanside favorite of locals and visitors alike will present their regular menu plus a few special selections on the Valentine’s Day including:
- A Kabocha Pumpkin Ravioli appetizer,
- Surf and Turf entrée,
- and for dessert, Fruit Carpaccio napoleon.
- To make it extra special, every lady dining with them that day will also receive a rose.
Ahhhh…. Phone them at 808-667-6636 for more information or to make reservations.
Sweetheart Dinner at Leilani’s On the Beach
- What’s Special: Leilani’s Sweetheart Dinner includes a Baby Romaine Caesar salad with Waipoli farm baby romaine hearts and classic Caesar dressing, followed by a choice of; Sautéed Shrimp and Scallop with a lemon butter and balsamic glaze or Hawaiian Bruschetta with Teriyaki tenderloin and Hawaiian salsa.
- Entrée choices include Fresh Island Catch with tangerine cream butter and sweet ‘n sour zest, served with Molokai sweet potato & cranberry salad, and jasmine rice; or Filet Mignon, prepared with Apple wood smoked bacon, a creamy gorgonzola and Cabernet pomegranate demi sauce.
- For desert, enjoy homemade Lilikoi Sorbet topped with Lilikoi syrup.
- The Sweetheart Dinner is priced at $44.95 per person.
Leilani’s is located at Whaler’s Village, 2435 Ka’anapali Parkway Bldg J, Ka’anapali HI 96761.Phone (808) 661-4495 for more info or reservations.
Umalu Valentine’s Selection
- What’s Special: Put your toes in the sand for an ocean-side, casual-chic Valentine’s evening.
- Three-course prix fixe includes a selection from dishes including: Tequila Lime Shrimp with Tomato-Scallion-Chile Butter with Grilled Ciabatta Grilled Kurobuta Pork Chop with Maui Onion-Applewood Smoked Bacon Marmalade, Sautéed Upcountry Green Beans and Roasted Apples 8 oz Cut of Umalu’s Slow Roasted Prime Rib and Grilled Tiger Prawns with Lemon/Caperberry Relish, Upcountry Vegetables and Yukon Gold Whipped Potatoes
- “Little Bomb”- Pineapple-Coconut Ice Cream Deep Fried with Fresh Berries, Whipped Cream, Honey Drizzle.
At the Hyatt, Kaanapali, 200 Nohea Kai Drive, Lahaina HI 96761. Phone 808-661-1234 for more information
Pacific Whale Foundation Valentine’s Cruise
- What’s Special: Romance will be in the air and in the sea this Valentine’s Day aboard a very special Pacific Whale Foundation sunset dinner cruise.
- The cruise departs from scenic Lahaina Harbor at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 14.
- Passengers will enjoy a delicious three-course dinner, cocktails, live music, dramatic views of the West Maui Mountains and the islands of Maui County, and the unparalleled beauty of a sunset at sea.
- You’ll even be able to watch for the spouts of courting humpback whales as you raise a toast to the power of love. A glimpse of those majestic creatures is sure to bring a thrill to anyone’s heart.
- Sparkling wine, Maui Brewing Co. beer, wine, Mai Tais and other tropical mixed drinks, plus unlimited soda, juices and filtered water included.
- For an additional fee you can enjoy premium seating, with a guaranteed private table and an upgraded beverage menu including frozen, blended cocktails.
The price is $84.95 for adults and $59.95 for children ages 12 and under for standard seating. Premium seating is available for $104.95 for adults and $79.95 for children ages 12 and under. Dress is casual. For reservations, call 249-8811 ext. 1. You can also register online (and receive special internet discounts) at www.pacificwhale.org.
Valentine’s Industry Night at David Paul’s Island Grill
- What’s Special: So who do you think makes all these great dinners possible on Valentine’s Day? David Paul remembers and offers local industry employees 1/2 off entrees for one night only for you and your sweetie!
- Arrive one day after the crowds have gone home and it’s your turn to put on the Ritz – February 15th.
Visit Island Grill at 900 Front St. Suite A101, Lahaina, HI, 96761. Call 808-662-3000 to reserve. Be sure to bring your ID or paycheck stub to qualify for the special.
Valentine’s Brunch, Dinner, and Chinese New Year Celebrations at Kaanapali Beach Hotel
- What’s Special: What is always a fabulous spread; V-day Brunch at KBH also brings a rose for each lady meandering through the extensive buffet tables.
- The Tiki Terrace Restaurant will be serving Chef Tom Muromoto’s “Winners Dinner” back by popular demand
- The restaurant will serve a 3-course menu of “Taste of Lahaina” winning dishes created by KBH’s culinary team.
- Brunch is served from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. For more information call 808-667-0124.
If you can’t make it to brunch on V-day, book for Chinese New Year (Feb. 20) when the buffet will feature over 50 items including Asian delicacies like crispy won tons, egg rolls, mini manapua, Chinese roasted duck, cashew chicken with cake noodles, black bean shrimp, hoisin glazed pork ribs, spicy beef stir-fry and kau yuk (Chinese roasted pork). There will be a Chinese wok stir-fry action station along with an iced seafood bar, signature Belgian waffles, and KBH chefs will be carving slow-roasted smoked prime rib. Specialty desserts finish this celebration brunch.